They say you can learn a lot about a person based on the car they drive, where they went to college, the zip code they grew up in, Myers-Briggs type, yada, yada, yada.
And while the descriptors above provide a fair amount of context (Volvo S60, University of Dayton, 44709 and ESFJ), I have a new favorite get-to-know-you question.
Actually two questions, that I've been using interchangeably.
- What radio stations are programmed in your car?
- What's on your DVR?
What I actually enjoy most is when someone says, "I don't have a car" or "I don't have DVR," because then you can take the conversation a million different directions.
But for the purpose of this post, I'm going to share my answer to the first question, because you can tell a heck of a lot about a person's interests based on what they listen to in the car.
Let's set the stage: I love my SiriusXM Satellite Radio and I would be lost without it.
Alexa's Sirius Radio Programmed Channels (in no particular order):
1. Jam_On - Jam Bands
2. SiriusXM FLY - Hip-Hop/R&B from the 90s & 00s
3. Howard 100 - The Howard Stern Show
4. Entertainment Weekly Radio - Entertainment talk and news
5. Business Radio - Business powered by Wharton
6. Grateful Dead Channel - Grateful Dead 24/7
7. NPR Now - NPR News & Conversation
8. '90s on 9 - '90s pop hits
9. Classic Vinyl - '60s & '70s Classic Rock
10. Radio Andy - Andy Cohen/Pop Culture
Based on the above, one could gather that I'm a foul-mouthed, liberal-minded, business woman who would be equally starstruck meeting Missy Elliot or Trey Anastasio and has seen every Golden Globe nominated movie and television show.
I'm totally on board with that description.
Your turn. What are you listening to in the car these days?